sunnuntai 9. huhtikuuta 2017

Hand painted robe à la Française, late 1750's to early 1770's

Late last year I had the honor of receiving an invitation to a 1757 reenactment in March 2017 in Zeilitzheim. I knew I wanted a new saque for the occasion as I had worn my cream gown so many times already. I also knew I didn't want another solid color gown. Appropriate silk brocade is difficult to find. And if you do, it always costs a fortune. While looking for inspiration, this gown gave me the idea to paint some silk to make a colourful gown while staying on budget.

The gown is made of duchess silk satin painted with Deka silk paints. It has a linen lining and the self fabric trim is edged with looped passementerie trim. It's completely hand sewn with linen and silk thread.

It's worn over shift, stays, pocket hoops and two linen petticoats. For the photos I styled it to fit early 1770's style.


































I wasn't able to finish the gown before I left to Germany but I managed to make the stomacher and few other finishing touches while I was there and was able to wear it as planned on Saturday evening. There was only a very small mirror on our room, and the first time I was wearing the gown I hadn't even seen it on myself. That was a strange feeling. But, despite pinning it on a little hastily leaving some wrinkles, it turned out ok.

We wanted to concentrate on enjoying the experience rather than on taking photos, but I have these two as proof. I think the fabric and colors worked well in candlelight.



Construction:

The gown was draped over a fitted lining with the help of my husband. I started by draping the back, then back skirts, bodice fronts, front skirts and then sleeves.







I left sleeve heads unneatened under robings.







Painting:

I made six different floral stencils that I rotated as the work progressed. I outlined everything first and then painted the colors.





The flowers are based on three different painted 18th century gowns but my main inspiration was the gown in V&A museum.

This is a close up of the V&A gown:


And these are some of my versions



I noticed one particularly ugly flower in there so I had to have it in my dress too.



21 kommenttia:

  1. i can't say it often enough, you did a marvelous job on the painting. not to mentrion the rest of the gown!
    sorry for photobombing tho LOL

    hope to see you again, soon.

    sonja

    VastaaPoista
  2. How perfectly matched to a spring event! It's a beautifully made dress, and suits you very very well; You must be very happy with the result of so much work!

    VastaaPoista
  3. This is so gorgeous - you did such a wonderful job, plus it looks beautiful on you!

    VastaaPoista
  4. Goodness, I mean...I'm usually blown away by your creations but this is just absurdly gorgeous! Stunning work, beyond beautiful!

    VastaaPoista
  5. What an astounding dress! You did an amazing job painting the fabric, it looks perfect!

    VastaaPoista
  6. There are no word for how amazing this is. Beautiful and inspiring!

    VastaaPoista
  7. I'm always in awe over your talent and creativity! Simply outstanding! <3

    VastaaPoista
  8. Beautiful craftmanship and an amazing new skill added to your already impeccable dress-making.
    May I ask where you have taken the first set of photos, it looks like a great palace/museum?

    Sabine

    VastaaPoista
  9. You have created a delightful gown and you look quite beautiful in it. Congratulations!

    VastaaPoista
  10. So good to see some new work from wonderful you! and 18th century, my favorite! I confess, you were the one that got me into historical sewing :-). 4 years later I had finally (kind of) the skills to make my own dress! If you are curious it there: https://marquiseelectrique.com/en/historyhacks-a-marquise-in-san-francisco/
    Alicia

    VastaaPoista
  11. I love this dress. How long did it take to make?

    VastaaPoista
  12. Wow, this is amazing! Thank you for sharing both your process and the finished gown.

    VastaaPoista
  13. Absolutely amazing work! I am costume designer for our Beauty and the Beast production and this has given me so many ideas and inspiration. The work you put in is phenomenal. I wish you were in Australia:)

    VastaaPoista
  14. Admit it: you like to show your boobs.

    VastaaPoista
  15. I am simply at a loss for words. You always surpass every other costumer/seamstress 'out there'! Stunning, Madam.

    VastaaPoista
  16. This is absolutely gorgeous,Excellent Craftsmanship!

    VastaaPoista
  17. OMG! It is GORGEOUS! Absolutely GORGEOUS. You are such a talented artist. I simply LOVE and admire your work. The gown is beautiful and you're beautiful in it. I can't say enough about it and you. You're both AMAZING!!!

    VastaaPoista
  18. What a wonderful talent you have. You should have worked on the TV series Outlander! Wow, hopefully you can help others and do videos.

    VastaaPoista